[Nut-upsuser] Contact-closure UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:20:17 UTC 2015

[please use reply-all when responding - the list does not modify the reply-to header.]

> On Nov 16, 2015, at 8:24 AM, Róbert SZAKSZ <robert at szaksz.eu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have one UPS Infosec XP Pro 2500 RM and it works with windows sw RUPS2000.
> Now I want to install this UPS as virtual server on vmware ESXi vMA - (SUSE SLES 11SP2 linux).
> On this linux I have NUT 2.6.0 and I stopped now with configuration of genericups driver.
>
> Working cable (direct cable pin1-pin1 ... pin9-pin9) connection on Windows:
>
> PIN   |    PC   |  UPS
> Pin1  |   DCD   |  described as DTR (must keep Hi)
> Pin2  |   RxD   |  AC Power fail (NO, connected to pin4 UPS ground in case of AC failure)

The genericups driver does not have a setting to use the PC RxD line as a contact-closure input. It seems to be possible if the other software is using it, but genericups can only send a BREAK signal (rather than receiving it).

> Pin3  |   TxD   |  N/A
> Pin4  |   DTR   |  UPS ground
> Pin5  |   GND   |  Battery low (NO, connected to pin4 UPS ground in case of LB)
> Pin6  |   DSR   |  1. described as UPS RxD and    2. 3 seconds Hi (UPS shutdown)
> Pin7  |   RTS   |  UPS ground
> Pin8  |   CTS   |  N/A
> Pin9  |   RI    |  described as UPS TxD
>
> And the question is, how to configure CP[???], OL[???], LB[???], SD[???]?
> No one from predefined 21 types worked for me.

The RUPS 2000 cable type in genericups seems to correspond to a crossed cable as shown in 5.2.1 below:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100106160328/http://ups.miem.edu.ru/ups_faq5.html

You might also be able to connect up the TxD and RxD lines, and use the nutdrv_qx (not available until after v2.6.5), megatec or blazer_ser drivers:

PC	UPS	Description
2	9	TxD
3	6	RxD
5	7	Ground