[Nut-upsuser] The system doesn't shutdown

George Anchev studio at anchev.net
Wed Oct 28 18:13:26 UTC 2015

> Did you see a line in the journal similar to this ?
>  Oct 06 22:49:54 pinta nut-delayed-ups-shutdown[1854]:
>                  nut-delayed-ups-shudown.service calling
>                  upsdrvctl to shut down UPS unit

Never after I disabled the service. I pasted the whole journal section of
the successful shutdown from last email. However I have been thinking about
this line in upssched-cmd:

 ${sbinPath}upsmon -c fsd

In 'upsmon --help' I read: "- fsd: shutdown all master UPSes (use with
caution)". What exactly does this line do?

What does "mesg" report?

It says "is n".

I decided to make a simple test with this script named test:

#!/bin/bash
MSG0=$'test'
echo $MSG0 | /usr/bin/wall
echo "abc"

If I run it as root, there is a notification - both in console and in KDE
and "abc" in console. But if I attempt to run the test script it as upsd:

su - upsd -c "./test"

the result is only silence. I checked permissions, it should run:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 upsd daemon 63 Oct 28 20:02 /etc/ups/test*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root tty 27480 Mar 13  2015 /usr/bin/wall*

I also tried to run it with mesg set to 'y' but with same lack of success.

Its systemd trying to "help" you.  OpenSUSE 13.2 includes a delayed UPS
> shutdown script in /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/nutshutdown . I suggest
> you comment out the command in that script.

Done. Now the UPS doesn't turn off. However I will restore it as it seems
useful to have it off when and only when the shutdown is evoked by a real
power failure but not during normal reboot/shutdown. That seems exactly
what I wanted.

Endless repetitions of (Communication lost - Communication re-established):
> its been reported before in this mailing list for various drivers, and
> others may know what causes it.  I suggest opening a new issue in this
> mailing list with a specific technical description.

Will do. Thanks!

---
George