[Nut-upsuser] UPS/NUT with openSUSE 13.1

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Thu Sep 3 18:07:31 UTC 2015

Roger,

Thank you for the help.

I tried what you suggested, going the system service unit route.  Well...that works.  So unfortunately, it doesn't provide a lot of debugging information. But I guess it also gives me a method I can move forward with.

I had preferred the shutdown script method because it was a little more straight-forward, and possibly more portable.  This guide is meant to help people get the UPS up and running, whatever their Linux distro. I don't know how common the systemd implementation is across various Linux distros.

The fact that I had the script working perfectly a few months ago makes me suspect this might be an openSUSE bug, and maybe that version I used back then had been updated.  Now that I have a working solution, I might let my install update overnight and then try the shutdown script again.  I assume that to undo the systemd service unit method, I do something like "systemctl --system disable /etc/syst......"?

Rob Groner
Software Engineer Level II

RTD Embedded Technologies, Inc.
ISO 9001 and AS9100 Certified
Ph: +1 814-234-8087
www.rtd.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Nut-upsuser [mailto:nut-upsuser-bounces+rgroner=rtd.com at lists.alioth.debian.org] On Behalf Of Roger Price
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 11:18 AM
To: nut-upsuser Mailing List <nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] UPS/NUT with openSUSE 13.1

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015, Rob Groner wrote:

> I’ve followed your excellent guide for setting up NUT in openSUSE
> 13.1. I’ve had great luck IN THE PAST, but for some reason now that I
> am trying to set it up again from scratch, I’m getting a weird error.
>
> Everything works except for the UPS shutdown.  I put the script in
> /usr/lib/system/system-shutdown and made it executable.  In fact, if I
> execute it manually...it will shut down the UPS (and then bring it
> back up).  However, if I shut down normally, either the script does
> not execute, or the UPS simply fails to receive it.  In a previous
> system when I did this, it worked perfectly (almost too well, as I’d
> sometimes forget when simply rebooting the system that it had
> commanded the UPS to shutdown 20 seconds later…).  Do you have any
> suggestions as to why the script works fine when I execute it
> manually, but doesn’t work when the system actually shuts down?

Hello Bob, I'll reply via the NUT mailing list since others may be interested, and the list will archive the discussion.

Putting the shutdown script in /usr/lib/system/system-shutdown so that systemd will execute it as late as possible makes it difficult to debug what happens, or doesn't happen, since when the script is executed, it is no longer possible to write out any trace statements.

So I suggest that temporarily you use the systemd service unit approach which will place a record in /var/log/messages. This is easier to debug.
Once you have found out why the required shutdown has not happened, you can test the fix, and when it works go back to using a script in /usr/lib/system/system-shutdown

Don't forget that you will have to initialize the service unit with a command such as
   systemctl --system reenable /etc/systemd/system/ups-delayed-shutdown.service

Best Regards,
Roger