[Nut-upsuser] Incorrect values returned from usbhid-ups

Alan White retirw42 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 01:09:31 UTC 2015

I have the same issue of incorrect output voltage being reported by usbhid-ups, as run on NAS4Free (FreeBSD). UPS is as shown below. There is a thread on this list from 2014 that has these same issues, apparently never addressed by any of the later usbhid-ups releases. I’m using 2.7.3.

The value I am especially concerned with is the output voltage; if ANY thing should be right on the report, it’s that one! I would hate to have servers running at 137V if they are supposed to be running on 120V.

The output.voltage value of 137 reported is suspiciously near the input.transfer.high value. It has often been EQUAL to that. The good news is that the ACTUAL output volts as measured by a voltmeter is 120VAC.

In addition...
The device.serial and ups.serial are both all zeroes…
battery.mfr.date is “CPS” rather than a date string…
battery.voltage should indeed be higher than the nominal of 24.0 if they are being charged…

It appears that incorrect data structure elements as returned by the UPS are being used in this usbhid-upsdriver. Of course, it’s possible that CyberPower is providing incorrect values to your driver. They sicced me onto you folks as a driver issue, not a UPS issue. Aren’t we lucky...

THANKS for all your work! We out here in userland appreciate it!

battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS