[Nut-upsuser] IBM 5396-1Kx ups nearly recognised.

Andy R - (NUT-List) spinner+NUTlist at delphinidae.org.uk
Sun Apr 17 01:08:10 UTC 2016

On 17/04/2016 00:50, Charles Lepple wrote:
> [as this list does not set or alter the Reply-To header, please use "reply all". Thanks!]
>
>> On Apr 16, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Andy R - (NUT-List) wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently using the usbhid-ups driver but as the ups usb-ID isn't recognised in the udev rules I run it as root. Running usbhid-ups gives a "device not recognised" error but using '-x explore' gives a huge pile of information back. Though this could mean anything from just a small change needed all the way to "good luck" though.
>>
>> So, what can I do to get my ups to work with NUT?
>
> The debug output looks reasonable - I think you are close to getting this working. (If you have any other debug output to send, feel free to gzip the log file and it should get through to the list automatically, if less than 40kB when MIME-encoded.)
>
> We can probably just add the IBM VID to the list of supported devices.
>
> I am not familiar with Arch Linux. What is the easiest way for you to rebuild the package? I attached a patch file to add your device to both the driver and udev rules (diffed from master, but should work against 2.7.4).
>
> I also kicked off a build, which generated this source tarball: http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/docker-debian-jessie/snapshot/Eaton_IBM_VID/ra7f4858f1d220b4c10bf5afb51071ff174f7e4a8-548/nut-v2.7.4-20-ga7f4858.tar.gz (The tarballs don't require autotools or some other dependencies, but they would need a compiler and all of the relevant lib*-devel packages.)
>
> It is possible that you could just change one of the Arch build scripts from "nut-2.7.4.tar.gz" to "nut-v2.7.4-20-ga7f4858.tar.gz" and rebuild, but I am totally speculating. (Note the extra "v" before the version number - I need to fix that...)

Hello Charles Lepple,

It looks like you were right. I've tried building both the patch against
the stable 2.7.4 source and using the latest source tarball you've just
created. The builds both went fine and seem to run as they should. The
Arch source build scripts are pretty clear to manipulate at least.

The udev rules work fine now, and  upsc/upscmd both return promising
looking responses. I can't actively test switching the UPS right now as
it's a bit late here for alarms to go off, however if there is anything
more to try then please let me know.

I have attached a copy of the upsc/upscmd responses to querying the UPS,
and the debug output of usbhid-ups from the new build in case there are
any anomolies that stand out.

What a brilliantly quick response :).

Many thanks,

Andy R