[Nut-upsuser] IBM 5396-1Kx ups nearly recognised.

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:49:41 UTC 2016

On Apr 16, 2016, at 9:08 PM, Andy R - (NUT-List) <spinner+NUTlist at delphinidae.org.uk> wrote:

> It looks like you were right. I've tried building both the patch against the stable 2.7.4 source and using the latest source tarball you've just created. The builds both went fine and seem to run as they should. The Arch source build scripts are pretty clear to manipulate at least.

If there are any URLs that you found particularly helpful for getting started with that, let me know. These sorts of test scenarios pop up every now and then.

> The udev rules work fine now, and  upsc/upscmd both return promising looking responses. I can't actively test switching the UPS right now as it's a bit late here for alarms to go off, however if there is anything more to try then please let me know.
>
> I have attached a copy of the upsc/upscmd responses to querying the UPS, and the debug output of usbhid-ups from the new build in case there are any anomolies that stand out.

It's going to be a little while before I can get back to this, but maybe one of the other NUT developers can help. One thing I did not do is try to map this to an equivalent Eaton model[*]. There might be additional features or fixes if someone knows the exact equivalent.

[*]: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/mge-hid.c#L89

This part looks weird, but maybe I am not used to seeing the status of a larger UPS: "ups.status: OL CHRG OFF" (maybe "battery.charger.status: floating" means float charging, rather than resting.)

If it really is off, then ups.load, ups.power and output.voltage seem reasonable. Otherwise, we might have an issue with scaling the values. (That sort of error is not common on MGE/Eaton units, but you never know.)

My personal recommendation is to do as much shutdown testing as you can before hooking up critical loads. It looks like "outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low: 0" is off, so that should simplify testing. Also, try a battery test to see what messages you get in syslog. There are some procedures listed in the NUT User Manual for how to test shutdowns without accidentally cutting power if things are not configured correctly.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail