[Nut-upsuser] Any good SNMP tutorial?

Brian Hilmers bhilmers at scripps.edu
Wed Aug 17 21:01:50 UTC 2016

Hello, I am looking for good instructions on how to configure NUT to receive SNMP Trap signals and how to shutdown a server. My setup is:

NUT: version 2.7.1-1ubuntu1, from package
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
UPS: Tripp Lite SMART3000RM2U

The only thing I was able to understand from the documentation is to an entry in ups.conf:

[tripplite-pa3]
        driver = snmp-ups
        port = tripplite-pa3.domain.com
        community = public
        mibs = ietf

Then start upsd:

root at dell1850:/etc/nut# upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.7.1
fopen /var/run/nut/upsd.pid: No such file or directory
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
listening on ::1 port 3493
Connected to UPS [tripplite-pa3]: snmp-ups-tripplite-pa3

And that is as far as I got. How does one receive a low battery warning and shutdown the server?

Brian H