[Nut-upsuser] Keeps losing connection with UPS (local usb connection)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 03:48:48 UTC 2016

On Dec 8, 2016, at 8:57 PM, dwilliss at inebraska.com wrote:

> OS: Debian 3.16.36
> Nut version: 2.7.4  from the “stretch” distribution (this was to solve another problem – which it did)
> Install method: apt-get
> Device: TRIPPLITE SMART1300LCDT using usbhid-ups driver
>
> Problem: I keep getting the message
>
>                 UPS tripplite at localhost is unavailable
>
> If I do…
>
>                 service nut-server stop
>                 service nut-server start
>
> Then everything is fine again for a while.

This is probably what I was alluding to earlier:

"Reliability of the USB connection has been an issue for the SMART1500LCDT series (the UPS provides power and updates the LCD status, but frequently disappears from the USB bus) on newer motherboards (typically those capable of USB 3.0). The investigation is ongoing, but we may be closer to figuring out why:

  https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/300#issuecomment-265324133

At the moment, we do not have a .deb-based solution (other than for Ubuntu), but it is possible to recompile NUT, and we do plan to roll the fix into a future version of NUT."

If you don't need to unplug and replug the USB cable on your SMART1300LCDT, you are better off than those of us with the SMART1500LCDT, which drops off the bus even when NUT is not running ("lsusb -v" hangs, etc.)

The thread below is referring to a different UPS, but there are instructions for rebuilding NUT to install over the existing usbhid-ups driver:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2016-October/010389.html

Email (CCing the list) if you have questions.