[Nut-upsuser] NUT Client shuts down when performing runtime calibration on APC UPS

Merk - Oliver oliver.merk at pecon.biz
Tue Dec 20 14:03:17 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am using an APC UPS (Smart-UPS 2200 RM) to secure my SAN. The SAN runs on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p5 and is using NUT 2.6.5 version 2. Since the UPS has also a Network card AP9630 I am using the snmp-ups driver to connect the SAN to the UPS for signaling.

Last week I need to change the battery pack and then I needed to perform a runtime calibration. I used the web interface of the AP9630 card to start the runtime calibration. However, after 2min. of runtime calibration the SAN shut down!

This is because the UPS status goes "On Battery" during runtime calibration and this is the signal for NUT to shut down the Client. However, I know, that there is another status you can get via snmp that gives the information, that the UPS is on battery because of a runtime calibration running and not because of a power failure. Does NUT get this additional information and uses it to discriminate between a real "on battery" state and a "runtime calibration" state? Or do I have to configure NUT in a way, that it work correctly and does not shut down my client, when the UPS does a runtime calibration?

BTW: I have a QNAP NAS (FW 4.2.2) also connected via snmp to a APC Smart-UPS 1000 RM, that shows the same behavior that it shuts down after a given time period when a runtime calibration is running...

Thanks for your help,
Oliver