[Nut-upsuser] /var/run/nut directory not created on CentOS 7.2 with systemd

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Sun Dec 25 17:25:46 UTC 2016

My environment is a little different, but I'm seeing at least the client
working without issue on CentOS 7.

On CentOS 7.2 I also used the epel repository and installed nut-client;
currently nut-client-2.7.2-3.el7.x86_64   The only configuration change was
to update the /etc/ups/upsmon.conf file with the appropriate MONITOR
statement.  Other than that, normal enabling and starting the service was
sufficient to have it work properly.  The CentOS systems are installed from
the minimal image and have a small set of KVM virtualization packages
installed.  In my environment, the nut server runs on a Raspberry Pi, so
only the client is needed on the other systems.

--Larry

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Mark Hansen <meh at winfirst.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm configuring the NUT package which comes with CentOS 7.X:
>
> nut.x86_64                              2.7.2-3.el7
> @epel
> nut-client.x86_64                       2.7.2-3.el7
> @epel
>
> I've configured NUT based on the instructions found on this page:
>
> https://www.luzem.com/2015/01/25/install-ups-in-centos-7/
>
> which worked, except for one problem. When starting the services
> (nut-server, nut-monitor)
> the /var/run/nut directory is not created, and so the service fails to
> start.
>
> If I create the directory manually, using the following commands, I can
> get the services
> to start, but upon re-boot, the directory is gone and the services fail to
> start again:
>
> mkdir /var/run/nut
> chown root:nut /var/run/nut
> chmod 770 /var/run/nut
> restorecon -v /var/run/nut
>
> I searched and it seems the issue is that /var/run is on a temporary
> filesystem, so stuff
> created there do not survive a reboot.
>
> To work around the problem, I've created a start-up script
> (/usr/local/sbin/rc.local) and
> create the directory there. This seems to work, but I'm thinking there is
> something wrong
> or missing in my configuration.
>
> What is the correct fix?
>
> Thanks,

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com