[Nut-upsuser] Powercool?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:51:50 UTC 2016

On Jan 23, 2016, at 12:11 PM, Tim Clarke <tim.clarke at manifest.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/01/16 16:52, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> [please use reply-all to include the list on your response]
>>
>> On Jan 23, 2016, at 11:14 AM, Tim Clarke <tim.clarke at manifest.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Centos 6.7
>>> Linux man8.m1.manifest.co.uk 2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 15
>>> 18:25:17 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>> Installed:
>>> nut.i686                             2.6.5-2.el6
>>> @epel
>> I don't remember off the top of my head if there were any gotchas to rebuilding NUT on Centos 6.x, but I suspect you can install the SRPM, drop in a newer NUT tarball, update the .spec file, and rebuild. Centos 7 has NUT 2.7.2 in EPEL, I believe.
>
> Erm ....
> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/source/SRPMS/n/nut-2.7.3-6.fc24.src.rpm
> ? And where do I get a .spec file?
> *drowns*

Sorry, these are dusty neurons for me, too. A SRPM (*.src.rpm) contains the original source, the .spec file (a recipe for building the binary RPM).

I muddled through this process last year, but didn't save the VM or a script of the commands. However, there is an updated spec file attached here (for CentOS 6.6; should be similar):

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.devel/6902

>>> Using driver "genericups" and upstypes 4-8, 10, 13-17, 19 and 21-22
>>> (achieved by following the "testing compatibility" steps at the end of
>>> the genericups man page) I get OL. But none of them detect OB or LB or
>>> SD (or any other state) when I cut the supply to the UPS.
>>>
>>> There's no serial control port.
>> Right, genericups needs either a physical RS-232 port, or a fully-functional USB-to-serial converter, connected to a contact-closure UPS. Otherwise, the OL status is just reflecting the default state of the floating pins coming into the motherboard serial port.
>
> So using the genericups driver is pointless?

Yes, for your case ("There's no serial control port" -- on the UPS, I assume), I think it's the wrong driver. (The "generic" name predates most USB UPSes.) If you were using a DB-9 connector on the back of the UPS with a custom cable, it could probably be made to work.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail