[Nut-upsuser] FSD sequence not working on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Ivan Adzhubey iadzhubey at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 12 21:27:24 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have recently installed NUT 2.7.3.1 on a freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
(64-bit) system, connected via USB cable to APC Smart-UPS 1500 (SMT model). I
am trying to make this configuration work for automatic shutdown/restart but it
seems that it completely ignores /etc/killpower presence. I know the APC SMT
models are problematic but it looks like I could not even make the simplest
test work, so it is likely initscripts issue and not the driver/UPS.

"upsmon -c fsd" would just initiate normal full shutdown sequence (e.g.
exactly the same as "shutdown -h +0") with the system brought to full poweroff
while UPS still keeps load powered. Obviously, this never restarts the system
automatically.

Note, I am currently running NUT installed from Rodney Dawes "System Tools"
PPA since the standard 16.04 repository has a fairly old version (2.7.2):

https://launchpad.net/~dobey/+archive/ubuntu/systools/

However, upgrading to this PPA build did not have any effect on the incorrect
shutdown sequence issue.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm a working NUT configuration on Ubuntu
16.04 LTS. So far, I am pretty sure this is Ubuntu bug, not the NUT one but I
might be wrong, of course. Would be nice to have some feedback from others.

My NUT components configuration and the UPS status/variables dump are available
on request.

Thank you,
Ivan

--