[Nut-upsuser] What is the purpose of the upsmon setting in upsd.users?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:14:25 UTC 2016

[please use reply-all when responding - the list does not mangle reply-to headers. thanks!]

On Jun 22, 2016, at 4:06 AM, André Hänsel wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2016 09:21 André wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> (I think) I understand that in upsmon.conf, the MONITOR line ends with
>> "master" or "slave". Basically if it's master it will wait for slaves to
>> shut down and if it's slave it will signal the master to switch off the UPS
>> after shutdown.

if it is a slave, it *allows* the master to switch off the UPS. I am not familiar with the exact sequence of events if there is no master upsmon process.

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/clients/upsmon.c#L615

>> To be able to monitor a network UPS as a slave, there must be a user in
>> upsd.users on the master system. This user needs to have a setting named
>> "upsmon" set.
>>
>> And this is where I'm confused - this setting has a parameter that must
>> also be set to either " master" or "slave". What do I set this to?
>>
>> Regards,
>> André
>
> Ok, I did some further testing and it seems that setting "upsmon slave" does
> not allow clients to connect, so when would I want to set it?

The "upsmon slave" setting should not prevent clients from connecting. Can you provide more details about the system? If this is a distributor-provided package, did they link against TCP-wrappers (using /etc/hosts.deny)?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail