[Nut-upsuser] unexpected shutdown, had to reinstall xorg.server

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jun 27 12:08:49 UTC 2016

Greetings all;

I expect that I may not have the shutdown properly configured, but my
site was subjected to some bad weather related intermittent power losses
a week+ back, and I have an automatic standby plant, a 20kw, that usuall
fires up and has the lights back on in 7 or 8 seconds.  So while the
power folks were reclosing substation breakers to see where the next
tree limb was shorting things out, the standby was shut down and then
restarted quickly 3 or 4 times. Somewhere in all the bounces, the UPS, a
belkin, shut off its AC input without making any advise me noise in the
logs, which I was tailing at that point.

The net result being that I've had commercial power for 10 minutes or so
and I am replying to an email message when click and the whole system is
dead from a low battery shutdown.

So why did the ups do a powerdown?

Restarting the UPS with a long push on its power button was done, and I
expected a normal reboot to bring things back to life.  Wrong...  No X,
and virtual crickets in the logs. Actually no xorg.0.log.  /usr/bin/X
nowhere to be found.  Pointed shotgun at

 apt-get install --reinstall xorg./server*

and it reinstalled 34 packages.  sudo reboot and it was back to the usual
everything starts on the same screen & has to be moved to put it on the
screens I am used to mess.

This is a debian wheezy based install, and the system drive is ext4, and
the 2nd drive is ext3, for amanda's use as backup medium using virtual
tapes. I should probably make that one an ext4 drive also. Just never
found my round tuit.

A upsd -V says 2.6.4 which is pretty ancient by now.

Whats the best way to proceed to avoid this in the future?

As an aside, neither of the /etc/nut/*.html files will display the ups
status, displaying the source text in place of the values expected.

Configuration error?  Main man page for describing that plz.

However a "upsc myups" shows the expected results.

I've asked several questions.  Hopefully they all have an answer.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)