[Nut-upsuser] UPS Shutdown

Mike the.lists at mgm51.com
Thu Oct 6 03:29:49 UTC 2016

On 10/5/2016 10:59 PM, Jeff Bowman wrote:

>>> How does this work in conjunction with the UPS hardware? Does NUT
>>> immediately send a command to the UPS to wait for 300 seconds and then
>>> shut itself down, thereby allowing the server enough time to safely
>>> shut itself down as well?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Very good, thank you.
>

>> The command is "upsdrvctl shutdown".
>
> That's what I thought, but I get this:
>
>   Can't claim USB device [051d:0003]: libusb0-dll:err [claim_interface] could not
>   claim interface 0, win error: The requested resource is in use.
>
>   Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> [snip]

I have found the shutdown delay to be quite elusive within the NUT realm.

I have asked for the kind folk of this mailing list to post those UPS's
which actually can implement the shutdown delay concept.

I have not seen anything posted, here or on the website, to that effect.

Nor have I seen any manner of documentation in the various UPS profiles
that would suggest whether or not a specific UPS actually obeys and
complies with the shutdown delay concept.

I use NUT and I like NUT, and I sincerely appreciate all the effort put
into making this project happen.  Really.

But at this point, the shutdown delay, as executed by a real, live,
existing UPS, seems to be an unattainable fantasy to this mere, simple user.

Something as critical as the shutdown delay should be so supremely
documented that it is child's play.

But it is not.  It currently is wizardry, if it exists at all.