[Nut-upsuser] UPS Shutdown

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Oct 6 09:35:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Mike wrote:

> I have found the shutdown delay to be quite elusive within the NUT realm.
>
> I have asked for the kind folk of this mailing list to post those UPS's
> which actually can implement the shutdown delay concept. I have not seen
> anything posted, here or on the website, to that effect.
>
> Nor have I seen any manner of documentation in the various UPS profiles
> that would suggest whether or not a specific UPS actually obeys and
> complies with the shutdown delay concept.

> Something as critical as the shutdown delay should be so supremely
> documented that it is child's play. But it is not.  It currently is
> wizardry, if it exists at all.

Hi Mike, The current NUT has evolved from a little documentation and a lot
of experimenting.  As an example of the lack of manufacturer's
documentation, see Eaton's "POWER FAILURE SHUTDOWN TIMELINE" for their
products.
https://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Power-Management/Software-Drivers/lansafe-help/LSHelp301.htm

This page, from a leading UPS manufactuer fails to document the offdelay,
which is hidden in the yellow bars labelled "System Shutdown".  It does
succeed in describing the Power-On Delay.

It is not possible for NUT to take over the documentation of the
idiosyncracies of each UPS.  All NUT can say is "Try this with your UPS".

However there is a need for a minimalist description of a working NUT
setup.

  * A drawing and three sentences each to describe the NUT components
(without upssched).

  * A working example of a set of configuration files for a single
workstation which will shut down the workstation and the UPS when LB is
reached.

One sheet of A4. Or the electronic equivalent.

We are looking for a volunteer to draft this sheet :-)

Best Regards, Roger