[Nut-upsuser] CP1500AVRLCD NOCOMM

Mark Hansen meh at winfirst.com
Mon Oct 10 21:00:00 UTC 2016

On 10/10/2016 11:12 AM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2016, Lane Russell wrote:
>
>> I tried viewing your link, but it returns a 404 error. It also doesn't seem
>> to have a valid certificate. Could you send the correct link please?
>
> I tried from Texas, Miami, Virginia, and New York VPSes. Works fine.
> Maybe try again, or check your local DNS?
>
>> I was able to get it to run unattended with this hack:
>> https://gathman.org/2016/07/30/Standard_Schmandard/

Stuart,

The issue is the certificate presented by your server (gathman.org) is not
signed by a well-known CA. Also, it looks like the certificate is valid only
for fairfax.gathman.org, while the URL you provided is to gathman.org.

Because of this, normal browsers will complain about the certificate unless
the user creates an "exception" (installs your certificate locally and
authorizes it for use when contacting your web site).

If you want to avoid this, you need to purchase a certificate signed by a
well-known CA and install that on your server.

If you don't want to do that, just be aware that anyone connecting to your
server is going to get a similar error.

Note that *you* don't get this error probably because you've installed
an exception for your certificate to your local browser. No matter what
path you take to get to the server, your browser will accept the certificate
and display the site without the warning.

As an alternative, you can offer the non-SSL URL to the content, if your
server allows for such access. This won't require the use of a certificate.

FYI.