[Nut-upsuser] battery not installed, but battery still 100% and NUT 2.7.2-4 does not catch this and report a error

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Apr 3 17:33:13 UTC 2017

On Monday 03 April 2017 11:41:56 Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> On 03/04/17 17.24, Roger Price wrote:

> >> yeah, it most likely is that old
> >
> > That's probably the cause of the immediate power loss.  A new
> > battery should fix the problem.  Roger
>
> yeah a new battery will most likely make it go away. However, that is
> not why I wrote the email. I wrote the email because I want NUT to
> tell me much more clearly that something is wrong, and NUT currently
> does not do that.
>

> JonB

Nut, IIRC, can do a periodic battery test by putting it offline, using
the battery, for a predetermined length of time, weekly, monthly etc,
and IIRC recording the battery voltage just as it switches back to line
power. The comparative voltage level at the switchback point is a pretty
good indication of the battery condition, and I think that could be used
to trigger an "I need a new battery" email message well ahead of an
unexpected total fail shutdown.

I have a 20kw nat gas fired standby generator thats typically live in 5
seconds since the Mrs. has COPD, so I have never set that up here, but I
believe you can find that in the Nut docs. Unless its been elided in the
last 15 years. :(

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)