[Nut-upsuser] battery not installed, but battery still 100% and NUT 2.7.2-4 does not catch this and report a error

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Mon Apr 3 20:39:30 UTC 2017

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Nut, IIRC, can do a periodic battery test by putting it offline,
>>> using the battery, for a predetermined length of time, weekly,
>>> monthly etc,
>>
>> We definitely don't want that in this instance either!
>
> Why not? If the battery has a holdup time of 5 minutes when its fresh,

Because in this instance it crashes your system, corrupts filesystems,
etc, etc.

>> We want the ALARM that the nut driver is
>> generating, and upsd is passing on - to be acted on in some way by
>> upsmon.  Which NOTIFYCMD is run when there is an ALARM?
>
> I've not read the docs in ages, but if there isn't something mentioned in
> a man upsmon, I would be unpleasantly surprised.
>
> According to my copy, it does a -wall (warn all) by default, and it looks
> like REPLBATT is one such message, and the default time for a repeat is
> 12 hours.  The -wall type message shows on every open terminal on the
> system's network, so someone should see it.  From the upsmon.conf file:

That would be great if "we" (the original poster) were getting a REPLBATT...

> NOTIFYCMD command
... long winded reiteration of man pages....

I think what we have here is a bug/oversight in upsmon, which we might be able
to create a nice test case for using the dummy-ups driver.  It is not
clear if it can generate the composite status "ALARM OL", but I will try
in a bit.  If it can't, maybe a patch for dummy-ups is in order.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at gathman.org>