[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups: Failed to open device, skipping. (Permission denied)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 8 01:15:50 UTC 2017

Charles Lepple writes:

> On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>
> wrote:
> > Having trouble configuring nut 2.7.4 on Fedora 25, with a new Tripp Lite
> > UPS.
> >
> > I'm running XFCE, and XFCE's Power Manager sees the UPS just fine. lsusb
> > gives:
> >
> > Bus 006 Device 002: ID 09ae:3016 Tripp Lite
>
> I'm still catching up on mail, so apologies if this was covered on a
> more recent GitHub issue, but Tripp Lite PID 3016 is extra-sensitive
> to certain combinations of USB cables and newer motherboards. If you
> take NUT and XFCE power manager out of the equation, but the UPS still
> generates a lot of disconnect/timeout/reconnect traffic in the kernel
> logs, you might be up against this issue.
>
> Full gory details here: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/122

This particular new unit came with its own USB cable, and this unit is
plugged into a relatively old server. The motherboard is about ten years old.

I have a lot of noise in my syslog. grepping for 'usb' or '3016' doesn't
find anything useful.

I've getting better results with the last patch from issue 414, which fixes
the bad error handling that was causing the driver to bail out. The driver
still yells about EAGAIN/EIO, once every four minutes or so:

ioctl(10, USBDEVFS_REAPURBNDELAY, 0x7ffd4d210fe0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)
sendto(3, "<31>Apr 1 12:46:10 usbhid-ups[4983]: libusb_get_report:
Input/output error", 75, MSG_NOSIGNAL, NULL, 0) = 75

but with the patch it recovers and keeps running. With the last patch from
414, the driver has now been running for over 24 hours, just quietly barking
about these timeouts, and reconnects, to anyone who'd listen.

I am open to suggestions for grep food, but I can't find anything in my
syslog that looks like a kernel complaint about actual USB connectivity.

My weekend project is to build the patched libusb-1.0 branch, and see what
happens there.