[Nut-upsuser] NUT not recognising Mini-box OpenUPS 2

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:42:21 UTC 2017

On Aug 15, 2017, at 5:24 AM, Song Teck <songteck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Have managed to make some progress after a fashion. Got the unit to work on the jessie version of NUT (2.7.2). upsc does output the unit parameters, along with the mis-scaled voltage readings described at http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Mini-Box.com/OpenUPS2.html. Am now trying to get the shutdown sequence to work properly.
>
> Have been following this: http://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html
> Unit performs as described in the "Testing shutdowns" section.
>
> I have another question that I am hoping to get some clarification with.
>
> The ups unit does not transit into OB LB even when Battery Charge falls below the LB level. The unit does initiate power off properly when Battery Charge/Runtime reaches 0.
> Is this correct? Or should there be an earlier transition and shutdown triggered by OB LB?

The driver should recognize one of several standard shutdown notifications:

   https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/v2.7.2-signed/drivers/openups-hid.c#L300-L302

However, I don't know which of these is actually implemented in the firmware. If you can afford some downtime, you can capture a log as the battery discharges - let us know if you want to try that.

To synthesize the OB+LB state, you can use the "ignorelb" flag with override.battery.charge.low and/or override.battery.runtime.low as described in http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html

You mentioned that the UPS powers off by itself when the charge reaches 0. Note that there does not seem to be a way to tell it to power off early with a command from NUT (e.g. "upsdrvctl shutdown", which gets translated to "/path/to/driver ... -k").

I'd recommend a separate email thread for that, and check Roger Price's writeup for further information: http://rogerprice.org/NUT.html