[Nut-upsuser] NUT configuration complicated by Stonith/Fencing cabling

Tim Richards tims_tank at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 22:48:01 UTC 2017

Roger,

Thanks for your reply.

As I understand it, for reliable fencing a node cannot be responsible for fencing itself, as it may not be functioning properly. Hence my "cross over" setup. The direct USB connection from Webserver1 to UPS-Webserver2 means that Webserver1 can fence (cut the power to) Webserver2 if the cluster software decides that it is necessary. If my UPSes were able to connect to the network themselves, this would work, but they only have USB or serial inputs for control.

I am trying to kill two birds with one stone, that is UPS protection from power failure and cluster node fencing (Stonith) with the UPS ability to cut power to a node. Somebody has done this, as there exists a fencing agent using NUT in the Pacemaker/Corosync (Linux-HA cluster software), I just don't know the best way to go about it.

Regards,
Tim.