[Nut-upsuser] NUT configuration complicated by Stonith/Fencing cabling

Tim Richards tims_tank at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:08:09 UTC 2017

Charles,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed you may be right that the NUT fencing agent might be written with networked UPSes in mind, as healthy nodes could use the network to issue "fence" orders to remove unhealthy ones. I will post here if I find more info.

The problem with the resupply of services is that NUT doesn't restart on the node that comes back up. To recap, I pull the power on one UPS, both nodes shutdown. The remaining mains connected UPS power cycles its outlets, which reboots its node. Because the node has just started, it wants all of its services to be healthy before providing them. This includes the fencing agent, which relies on NUT, which hasn't started. So the node doesn't start the rest of its services (Apache, MySQL, Samba).

Relevant log entries.

Feb 13 23:11:42 xinetd[1647] Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd [file/etclxinetd.d/cups-lpd] [linel 7]
Feb 13 23:11:42 systemd[1] Starting LSB: UPS monitoring software (deprecated, remote/local)...
Feb 13 23:11:43 usbhid-ups[2093] Startup successful
Feb 13 23:11:43 upsd[1 932] Starting NUT UPS drivers ..done
Feb 13 23:11:43 upsd[21 04] not listening on 192.168.1.22 port 3.493
Feb 13 23:11:43 upsd[21 04] listening on ::1 port 3493
Feb 13 23:11:43 upsd[2104] listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
Feb 1323:11:43 upsd[21041 no listening interface available
Feb 13 23:11:43 startproc[2095] startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/upsd: 1
Feb 13 23:11:43 usbhid-ups[20931 Signal 15: exiting
Feb 1323:11:43 upsd[1932] Starting NUTUPSserver..failed
Feb 13 23:11:43 systemd[1] upsd.service: Control process exited, codeexited status7
Feb 13 23:11:43 systemd[1] Failed to start LSB: UPS monitoring software (deprecated, remote/local).
Feb 13 23:11:43 systemd[1] upsd.service: Unit entered failed state.
Feb 13 23:11:43 systemd[1] upsd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I can manually bring the surviving node's services back up if by removing the requirement that Stonith services are enabled. I cannot get NUT to restart until I restart the 2nd node.

Regards,
Tim.