[Nut-upsuser] Device not supported?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 23:18:35 UTC 2017

On Jul 5, 2017, at 5:34 PM, Ambrogio Coletti <ambrojohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> From section 4.23 of the Developer Guide:
>
> "There are a few USB UPS devices that are not HID devices. These devices typically implement some version of the manufacturer’s serial protocol over USB (which is a really dumb idea, by the way). An example is the Tripplite USB. Such devices are not supported by the usbhid-ups driver, and are not covered in this document."
>
> I guess that applies to me?

No, but my original comment does:

"The Protocol 1330 support was added after 2.7.4 was released. You might be able to use a 2.7.4 tarball with "productid = 1330" in ups.conf, but voltages might be off by a factor of 10. You will also need to adjust the udev files manually to fix /dev/bus/usb permissions."

Manuel: did you happen to regenerate the udev files, or use one of the Buildbot tarballs? We typically don't bother to do that until "make dist" before a release (since the rules files are generated from *.in files based on configure parameters), so your package might still have the rules file from 2.7.4 (which does not include protocol 1330).

The comment in the developer guide was mostly accurate when we first saw Tripp-Lite USB devices with VID:PID 09ae:0001. Technically, they implement the USB HID protocol, but not the intended USB HID PDC (Power Device Class) spec. It looks like every PID other than 0001 (including 1330) implements PDC.