[Nut-upsuser] Best way to shut down RH KVM/QEMU based VMs via NUT

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Sun Jun 11 12:00:17 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

On RHEL/CentOS 7, libvirt-guests (which comes from libvirt-client) on the
host controls the suspend vs. shutdown behavior of the guests.  By default
the guests suspend, but if you want them to shutdown, change the
ON_SHUTDOWN setting in /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-guests.  I don't have any
Windows guests, but the linux guests work nicely with the default suspend.
That said, I have only recently begun to see an issue with one of my
CentOS7 guests being resumed with incorrect time--haven't gotten to the
bottom of that one yet.

--Larry

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Ben <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
>  Has anyone tackled the best way to shut down a VM running Win10 running
> in RedHat's (CentOS 7) KVM/QEMU VM manager?
>
> I'm looking at this link to follow:
>

> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_
> Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Virtualization_Deployment_and_
> Administration_Guide/sect-Managing_guest_virtual_
> machines_with_virsh-Shutting_down_rebooting_and_force_
> shutdown_of_a_guest_virtual_machine.html
>
> but thought I'd ask the group if they found any other cool tricks or
> pitfalls...
>
> Cheers,
>

>  -Ben

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com