[Nut-upsuser] Best way to shut down RH KVM/QEMU based VMs via NUT

Ben bkamen at benjammin.net
Sun Jun 11 14:25:52 UTC 2017

On 06/11/2017 07:00 AM, Larry Fahnoe wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On RHEL/CentOS 7, libvirt-guests (which comes from libvirt-client) on the host controls the suspend vs. shutdown behavior of the guests.  By default the guests suspend, but if you want them to shutdown, change the ON_SHUTDOWN setting in /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-guests.  I don't have any Windows guests, but the linux guests work nicely with the default suspend.  That said, I have only recently begun to see an issue with one of my CentOS7 guests being resumed with incorrect time--haven't gotten to the bottom of that one yet.

Excellent!

Thank you.

As for your time issue, I  might be able to help there.

As it already stands, KVM/QEMU (and linux) handles the hardware RTC time in UTC and Windows seems the like handling it in local time.

When I build this Win10 VM, it always came up the timezone+/- DST off.

I had to add a Windows registry setting to tell it the RTC was UTC and not Local.

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
> "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

did you do this yet? (just wondering if it'll help if you haven't.)

Cheers,

  Ben