[Nut-upsuser] Best way to shut down RH KVM/QEMU based VMs via NUT

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Sun Jun 11 15:45:48 UTC 2017

Thanks Ben & yes as you noted in your next message, I'm running linux
guests.  :-)

While off-topic as far as NUT is concerned, for the sake of completeness
and in case it may be of help to others, on RHEL/CentOS 7 there are two
areas involved with guest shutdown/reboot vs suspend/resume: systemd and
libvirt-guests.  On host boot, systemd-machined starts first and starts
guests marked "autostart", libvirt-guests comes along later and either
resumes or reboots guests that were running when the host was shut down.

Regarding my guest time issue, I noticed that some of my guests were marked
autostart, and were thus being brought back up by machined and it was one
of these guests that wasn't waking up with a correct clock.  A manual
restart of chronyd on that guest would get the time set correctly, but
that's not a solution.  My theory is that machined and libvirt-guests have
different guest clock initialization mechanisms, so I have now disabled
autostart on all of my guests thus letting libvirt-guests handle the
suspend/resume & will monitor to ensure all guests have accurate time next
time a host reboots.  I also set SYNC_TIME=1 in
/etc/sysconfig/libvirt-guests to cover my bases.

--Larry

--
Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com