[Nut-upsuser] Unable to use nut-2.7.4 with Eaton 5E1500I USB

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Jun 13 15:49:11 UTC 2017

On 06/13/2017 05:48 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi Manuel

Hi Arno

> <mailto:clepple at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Jun 7, 2017, at 5:47 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
>     <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>> wrote:
>     >
>     >    If that matters, the OS is a fully updated CentOS 6.9 and
>     this (latest stable ) version of nut was packaged by me. The
>     problem appears on any of the USB ports ( well, I tried the 2 in
>     front and one in the back of the server ).
>     >
>     > lsusb -v reports:
>     >          wDescriptorLength    549
>     >          Warning: incomplete report descriptor
>     >          Report Descriptor: (length is 9)
>     >            Item(Main  ): (null), data=none
>
>     Because both NUT and lsusb are having trouble retrieving the HID
>     Report Descriptor, I think the problem is at a lower level:
>     probably between the UPS, the kernel, and the USB HCI. The
>     archives have a number of unresolved emails about the 5E and
>     "broken pipe" errors.
>
>     Probably worth checking with Eaton, too.
>

> Charles is right in both the fact that the issue is (or at least seems
> to be) upstream to NUT, and also that it's worth checking with "Eaton"

     I've approached "them" ( apparently my request for supported landed
at after-sales support/Romania ) as soon as Charles replied.
Unfortunately the "dialogue" rather stalls, they seem to have a policy
to not send more than one email every 3 days. Leaving aside that after
telling them that I am using an *USB *unit (and providing USB-related
logs ) they wanted to know if I was using *SNMP*.

> Could you please tell me your kernel
[root at belgrade ~]# uname -r
2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64

> and libusb (0.1) version?
[root at belgrade ~]# rpm -qa libusb
libusb-0.1.12-23.el6.x86_64

> Would you also be able to test some github code?
> We have the libusb-1.0 branch that provides both libusb 1.0 support
> (interesting to test to see if the problem still happens) along with
> few other improvements (though these should not help for your issue):
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/libusb-1.0

I can and I will test ( tomorrow, probably ).

> Don't hesitate if you need more guidance for trying this branch.
Do you happen to know how can I find the version of firmware run by the
UPS, in _my_ conditions ( remote + the previously mentioned errors) ?
The guys who contacted me from Eaton did not reply yet to my email sent
yesterday.

> FYI, I've just made a test with the same unit, on a Debian jessie
> (kernel 3.16.43-2, libusb 0.1.12-25) both with 2.7.4 and the latest
> git master, and it works fine:
>
> battery.charge: 62
> battery.runtime: 2725
> battery.type: PbAc
> device.mfr: EATON
> device.model: 5E 1500i
> device.type: ups
> driver.name <http://driver.name>: usbhid-ups
> [...]
I was expecting it to work fine, given
https://risc-a-day.blogspot.ro/2014/09/getting-my-ups-to-work-with-linux.html
( before the purchase I assumed the units to be similar, modulo the
maximum power )

> cheers,
> Arno
thanks a lot. I will come back with more data once I test the github
code ( yes, I know, everybody hates this kind of threats :) )

wolfy