[Nut-upsuser] Unable to use nut-2.7.4 with Eaton 5E1500I USB

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 14:48:20 UTC 2017

Hi Manuel

> On Jun 7, 2017, at 5:47 AM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>
> wrote:
> >
> >    If that matters, the OS is a fully updated CentOS 6.9 and this
> (latest stable ) version of nut was packaged by me. The problem appears on
> any of the USB ports ( well, I tried the 2 in front and one in the back of
> the server ).
> >
> > lsusb -v reports:
> >          wDescriptorLength     549
> >          Warning: incomplete report descriptor
> >          Report Descriptor: (length is 9)
> >            Item(Main  ): (null), data=none
>
> Because both NUT and lsusb are having trouble retrieving the HID Report
> Descriptor, I think the problem is at a lower level: probably between the
> UPS, the kernel, and the USB HCI. The archives have a number of unresolved
> emails about the 5E and "broken pipe" errors.
>
> Probably worth checking with Eaton, too.

Charles is right in both the fact that the issue is (or at least seems to
be) upstream to NUT, and also that it's worth checking with "Eaton"

Could you please tell me your kernel and libusb (0.1) version?

Would you also be able to test some github code?
We have the libusb-1.0 branch that provides both libusb 1.0 support
(interesting to test to see if the problem still happens) along with few
other improvements (though these should not help for your issue):
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/libusb-1.0

Don't hesitate if you need more guidance for trying this branch.

FYI, I've just made a test with the same unit, on a Debian jessie (kernel
3.16.43-2, libusb 0.1.12-25) both with 2.7.4 and the latest git master, and
it works fine:

battery.charge: 62
battery.runtime: 2725
battery.type: PbAc
device.mfr: EATON
device.model: 5E 1500i
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4.1
driver.version.data: MGE HID 1.42
driver.version.internal: 0.42
input.voltage: 240.0
outlet.1.status: on
outlet.desc: Main Outlet
outlet.id: 1
outlet.switchable: no
output.frequency: 49.9
output.frequency.nominal: 50
output.voltage: 241.0
output.voltage.nominal: 230
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.firmware: 02.06.0019
ups.load: 0
ups.mfr: EATON
ups.model: 5E 1500i
ups.power.nominal: 1500
ups.productid: ffff
ups.start.battery: yes
ups.status: OL
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.vendorid: 0463

cheers,
Arno
--
Eaton Data Center Automation Solutions - Opensource Leader -
http://42ity.org