[Nut-upsuser] CentOS rpm package installation

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Jun 23 07:44:31 UTC 2017

On 06/23/2017 08:30 AM, Roger Price wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2017, Ambrogio Coletti wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am not a linux expert.
>> The output of uname -r on my system returns:
>> 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64
>
> Hi, Linux 2.6.32 was released 3 December, 2009.  That's nearly 8 years
> ago. Linux has now reeched version 4.11.
What blank affirmations like this one fail to take into consideration is
that RH invests a lot of time and effort in backports. The current
kernel used by RHEL 6 / CentOS 6 resembles more the 3.10 series than 2.6
Please see https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/ for
information on backporting of security fixes*and features* in CentOS and
RHEL

>> hence I am trying to install this rpm:
>> sudo yum install nut-2.7.4-9.fc27.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> but I got failed dependencies.
>>
>> Is there a repository I am supposed to set up to get those
>> dependencies from?
>
> Perhaps the CentOS people could advise you on whether old rpms for
> CentOS still exist,
I already did that ( incidentally I am also member in some CentOS teams
). As I have mentioned earlier, there are new packages as well. And I
have also built packages from the current git tree.

> but the general advice would be to install a more recent Linux.
I would not use "general" and "more recent" without looking at the whole
context but yes, this is  one of the option that can be sometimes be
taken into consideration. However let's not forget that RHEL 6 ( and by
matter of consequence CentOS 6 ) still has almost 4 more years of
supported life ( a period which by itself exceeds the length of life of
other distributions.. ), given that it will go EOL 30 Nov, 2020 . See
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata for more details
about the lifecycle of RHEL distributions.

     wolfy