[Nut-upsuser] Why are LAN ports not standard on UPSs these days?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Jun 25 12:53:08 UTC 2017

People,

A couple of decades before I was retired and was still working for other
people I had cause to install UPSs and they usually had RS232 ports to
allow the setting up of shutdown scripts to UNIX / Linux servers.  Now,
after not having to be concerned by those issues for some time - most of
my little web sites have been on Digital Ocean or other suppliers VMs
for a long time - I am shutting down my DO servers and bringing my sites
in-house.  However, now I need to be concerned about reliable power
again so I have spent a bit of time looking at options and I don't
understand why most of the UPS offerings available do not come standard
with a LAN port?  Why is this?

Do people have suggestions about my options?  I have two main machines -
say 250-400W total and a few small devices inc a Billion router and some
USB devices.  It would be nice to have at say 5-10 minutes battery
backup before sending shutdown messages to the Linux machines.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades