[Nut-upsuser] NUT supporting Modbus TCP

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 03:40:38 UTC 2017

On Jun 29, 2017, at 12:03 PM, Sergei O. Naumov wrote:

> Yeah, I have its datasheet (it's a Xantrex XW invertor by the way). I do not know why creating a more-or-less generic driver is an issue. Of course, there are Modbus beasts that can scare everyone but mostly one would need to read either intreger or float numbers out of Modbus registers in order to decide whether or not to start or stop the shutdown process.

Typically, NUT drivers have exposed more than just a single shutdown bit, so the bulk of the task would be to deal with configuration to map all of the values to NUT variables. Certainly not an intractable problem, but most of the developers are busy with other parts of the code at the moment.

In the case of the phoenixcontact_modbus driver, that mapping is compiled into the driver, so it would be quicker for you to write something like that if you just need a simple driver.