[Nut-upsuser] Is a timer a file?

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:59:50 UTC 2017

Hi Roger,

reviving this discussion, since we have a Github ticket for 2.7.5:
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/293

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2016, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
> On Jun 3, 2016, at 6:48 AM, Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:
>>
>>> ... the timer.  I don't see it in /var/lib/ups where the locate tool
>>> finds upsd.pid, and I don't see it in /run or /var/run where I see
>>> upsmon.pid.
>>>
>>> ... it seems that the timers are only stored in memory. See
>> checktimers(): https://github.com/networkupst
>> ools/nut/blob/master/clients/upssched.c#L129
>>

> Hello Charles, thanks for the link.  If timers are only stored in memory
> then the example given at http://networkupstools.org/doc
> s/user-manual.chunked/ar01s07.html chapter 7.2 is wrong.  It is not
> possible to turn off a timer with rm as shown in
>
>         #! /bin/sh
>         case $1 in
>                 ups-back-on-power)
>                         /bin/rm -f /some/path/ups-on-battery
>                         ;;
>         esac
>
> This would explain the problem I have with a current script.

I've made some additions to clarify things on the timer, and complete the
script:
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/compare/upssched-doc?expand=1

> Is there some other way of forcing routine cancel_timer from a script or a
> configuration file?

this is the last point to address, but I'd need to better understand prior
to potentially taking action:
theoretically, each event that triggers a timer (like ONBATT) has a
counterpart to cancel it (like ONLINE).
Ex (from the doc):
    AT ONBATT * START-TIMER onbattwarn 30
    AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER onbattwarn

So is there any use case we're missing here?

Thanks and cheers,
Arno
--
Eaton Data Center Automation Solutions - Opensource Leader -
http://42ity.org