[Nut-upsuser] Fatal EEPROM fault!

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:29:08 UTC 2017

> On Thursday 23 March 2017 09:29:55 Sonic wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry if any of this is obvious - I'm new to NUT.
> >
> > NUT via upsc is displaying (edited for length):
> >
> > device.model: Eaton 5P 2200
> > device.type: ups
> > driver.name: usbhid-ups
> > ups.alarm: Fatal EEPROM fault!
> > ups.status: ALARM OL CHRG
> > ups.test.interval: 604800
> > ups.test.result: Done and passed
> > driver.version: 2.7.2
> > driver.version.data: MGE HID 1.33
> > driver.version.internal: 0.38
> >
> > Is this possibly a firmware or configuration issue?
> >
> > Does NUT report the firmware version (it's not jumping out at me in
> > the upsc output)?
> >
> > Can NUT upgrade the firmware on this device? Eaton only seems to have
> > instructions for a Windows box.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Chris
> >
> Linux has a dfu-util, device firmware updater. But I've no clue if eaton
> would allow access to do that via its USB interface.  This is obviously
> independent from Nut.
>
> Have you the file to be used to update the EEPROM with?
>
> Here is its help screen, mat or may not be usefull.
> Usage: dfu-util [options] ...
>   -h --help                     Print this help message
>   -V --version                  Print the version number
>   -v --verbose                  Print verbose debug statements
>   -l --list                     List the currently attached DFU capable
> USB devices
>   -d --device vendor:product    Specify Vendor/Product ID of DFU device
>   -p --path bus-port. ... .port Specify path to DFU device
>   -c --cfg config_nr            Specify the Configuration of DFU device
>   -i --intf intf_nr             Specify the DFU Interface number
>   -a --alt alt                  Specify the Altsetting of the DFU Interface
>                                 by name or by number
>   -t --transfer-size            Specify the number of bytes per USB
> Transfer
>   -U --upload file              Read firmware from device into <file>
>   -D --download file            Write firmware from <file> into device
>   -R --reset                    Issue USB Reset signalling once we're
> finished
>   -s --dfuse-address address    ST DfuSe mode, specify target address for
>                                 raw file download or upload. Not
> applicable for
>                                 DfuSe file (.dfu) downloads

Hi Gene,

thanks for this info, I was not aware of the DFU USB class.
sadly, this doesn't apply here since the FW upgrade on Eaton units use a
specific proprietary approach, which works for serial, USB and network...

cheers,
Arno
--
Eaton Data Center Automation Solutions - Opensource Leader -
http://42ity.org