[Nut-upsuser] Problem with upsmon?

Michele Alzetta michele at alzetta.org
Sat Sep 2 17:55:05 UTC 2017

I have a Gentoo linux (OpenRC) desktop connected to a UPS, the brand is
Vultech, but lsusb gives me this:
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0925:1234 Lakeview Research

and I found an article about this hardware here, someone had it working
with the richcomm_usb driver:
http://verahill.blogspot.it/2012/12/kstar-australia-1500-va-ups-on-debian.html
So, I installed nut and configured my UPS to work with the richcomm_usb
driver, and everything seems to work all right:
service upsdrv start
* Starting UPS drivers ...
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
Network UPS Tools - Richcomm dry-contact to USB driver 0.04 (2.7.4)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

upsc vultech

device.mfr: Richcomm dry-contact to USB solution
device.model: UPS USB MON V1.4
device.serial: unknown
device.type: ups
driver.name: richcomm_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 0.04
ups.mfr: Richcomm dry-contact to USB solution
ups.model: UPS USB MON V1.4
ups.productid: 1234
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OB
ups.vendorid: 0925

*EXCEPT for one tiny detail which you see above - ups.status: OB*
In fact my UPS is connected just fine to a perfectly working power
supply, so it should be OL, not OB.
But what is worse is that a couple of minutes after having started the
upsdrv the OB become OB BL and then the driver does what it should do if
the UPS were really offline and if the battery really were low, i.e. it
sends my system into a graceful shutdown.
So, is this a hardware problem with my UPS ? Or is it a configuration
problem? How could I debug this?
--
  Michele