[Nut-upsuser] Bug or feature? polling frequency = (pollfreq + pollinterval)

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Sep 20 04:52:12 UTC 2017

On September 20, 2017 4:08:08 AM GMT+02:00, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sep 19, 2017, at 9:50 PM, René Berber <rberber at fastmail.fm> wrote:

>updated).
>>>
>>> Is there a way to check which version they are using? (Just curious
>- probably will not affect the problem you described.)
>> None I could find, tried strings, might try telnet but my guess is
>that
>> it will spew the same modified version string.
>>
>> Indirectly there is a Synology forum post
>> (https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134961&p=498189)
>> where this user says they are installing a very outdated (circa 2012)
>> version.  No idea how he found that out.
>
>The HID driver version can help pin things down. "MGE HID 1.33" was
>committed in 2014:
>
>https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/commit/f4a376779da0d320c7877bc49ec8025ae8ced4ed
>
>So it is somewhere between v2.7.1 and v2.7.2.
>
>> I also tried the open source repository put out by Synology and
>couldn't
>> find NUT; which is odd.
>
>I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if they are
>distributing binaries of NUT, they need to provide a way for customers
>to get the source.

IANAL either, but technically, "they" should provide sources for binaries on request, perhaps with reasonable costs billed for the media and procedure (but not for the right of access itself, as the accounting point). Having things downloadable online is a shortcut convenient for most parties, so costly humans do not have to process the request, but is not a hard requirement.

Also in case of GPL at least, whoever has a copy may share it, so hiding sources artificially has little benefit as an IP protection measure. A few projects still do that, as a way to bring attention to their donation links ;) There copies provided in distros are opensourced, but the not-yet-distro'd head branch is available after a donation or ad page. But then they may be legally redistributed, as marked in the readme's - just the authors express a non-binding wish that people won't.

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android