[Nut-upsuser] testing shutdown: pc not restarting; and "ups unavailable" messages

nut.user.u830 at neverbox.com nut.user.u830 at neverbox.com
Thu Feb 1 23:21:14 UTC 2018

>>> where in the filesystem should I be looking for the NUT shutdown script please?
>>
>> It's the SHUTDOWNCMD in upsmon.conf

Excellent. And in my case (default) it says

SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"

I have tried that command and, as expected, it has shut down the pc. Then I have disconnected the power cord for one minute and plugged it back in, and the computer has restarted by itself (thanks to the BIOS setting). I didn't expect it, before this afternoon's explanations, but very good. It means it should be possible for the UPS to wake up the computer by power-cycling it at the socket, possibly with a sufficiently long delay between power down and power up.

Now, why did the "testing shutdown" procedure not work? I can imagine at least two reasons:

1) nut has properly shut down the computer, but the UPS has not removed power to it. It was suggested I should test with a lamp whether the UPS is interrupting power to the load during the shutdown procedure. This will have to wait until I have a moment to wire a lamp with that so-called "type E plug connector" so that it can plug into the "type F" that the UPS uses for its 3 loads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320>

2) the UPS has power-cycled the load without enough of a delay between off and on, and thus the computer has not had time to notice that there was a power cut. (Some capacitor in the PSU hasn't fully discharged, or something.) This is what happened this afternoon at work when I unplugged the switched-off pc and plugged it back in again, and it didn't come on, whereas it did when I left it off for a few minutes.

After I establish whether it's 1 or 2, would the fix be to add some appropriate upscmd to the SHUTDOWNCMD entry in /etc/nut/upsmon.conf ?