[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite BCPERS450 shutdown/restart problems

Ken Olum kdo at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jan 12 16:59:53 UTC 2018

   From: Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>
   Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:31:54 -0500

   The trick will be adding support for this without breaking other
   models.

For whatever it's worth, Tripp lite's software does not display the
model number anywhere, so it may be treating all models the same.

   In case you are interested, this mapping between the "Path" and the
   report ID is in the HID Report Descriptor which should be early in
   the Wireshark capture.

I see something called GET DESCRIPTOR Response HID Report which lists
the report IDs, but I don't say where it gives information to map it to
the path.

   Other HID UPS models tend to provide both DelayBeforeShutdown and
   DelayBeforeStartup

There is something called Path: UPS.OutletSystem.Outlet.DelayBeforeReboot,
ReportID: 0x17.  This is sent by the "Immediate Device Reboot" action of
the Tripp lite software.  Its function seems to be to turn off the load
immediately and turn it back on after the given number of seconds.  I'm
not sure why this would be useful.

   For completeness, would you mind sending the output of "upsrw" and
   "upscmd -l"?

Below.

Thanks again for your help.  I will be away until Monday afternoon, so
please forgive delay in answering e-mails.

                                        Ken

% upsrw bcpers450 at localhost
[ups.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 200

% upscmd -l bcpers450 at localhost
Instant commands supported on UPS [bcpers450]:

beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
reset.watchdog - Reset watchdog timer
shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test