[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite BCPERS450 shutdown/restart problems

Ken Olum kdo at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Jan 22 20:00:11 UTC 2018

I tested the effect of setting UPS.OutletSystem.Outlet.DelayBeforeShutdown
using Tripp Lite's software, which appears to be as follows:

1.  If you set it when the line power is on, it turns off the UPS after
the delay, and does not turn it back on again, even if you cycle the
line power.

2.  If you set it when the UPS is running on battery, wait for the UPS
to turn off, and turn back on the line power, the UPS restarts and turns
on the load.  So the basic functionality of this control works.

3.  If you set it when the UPS is running on battery, and turn back on
the line power before the timer has expired, then the UPS turns off the
load at the given time, and then turns on the load after some delay. (I
don't how this delay is determined.)  Thus it avoids the race where the
power comes on again during the shutdown delay.

There is presumably still a race where the power returns before the
delayed shutdown command is issued but after the system is committed to
issuing it.  But that is less important and I'm willing to risk it.

So if you could fix nut to use UPS.OutletSystem.Outlet.DelayBeforeShutdown
in my case, or tell me how do it, I would appreciate that.

                                        Ken