[Nut-upsuser] Eaton 5PX after battery replacement still says "replace battery" in NUT [HCL]

James Whitwell jams at momento.com.au
Wed Jan 17 03:46:31 UTC 2018

> On 17 Jan 2018, at 2:27 pm, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 16, 2018, at 6:07 PM, James Whitwell <jams at momento.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> This might be a simple thing to fix, but I can’t figure it out.  We replaced the battery for the first time in our Eaton 5PX a couple of weeks ago, but we haven’t been able to clear the “ups.alarm: replace battery!” status.
>>
>> Details of our installation are:
>> OS: Debian 6
>> NUT version: 2.7.4
>> Installation method: from source tarball
>> UPS device: Eaton 5PX2000IRT, 240V, 1800W, 2000VA, bought in October 2013
>>
> We don't have a complete dump for the 5PX, but I would assume that it has at least one or two battery test commands, and I would recommend trying the quick one first. (If you can also send the output of "upscmd -l" and "upsrw", we can add it to our database.)
>
> http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upscmd.html <http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upscmd.html>

Thanks Charles.  I forgot to put in my original email that I had done “test.battery.start.quick” as well.  How long does the deep test usually take?  We’ll be moving the UPS to another location in a couple of days, so just want to be sure it won’t take that long.

“upscmd -l” gives me this:

Instant commands supported on UPS [eaton-5px-1]:

beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
load.on - Turn on the load immediately
load.on.delay - Turn on the load with a delay (seconds)
outlet.1.load.off - Turn off the load on outlet 1 immediately
outlet.1.load.on - Turn on the load on outlet 1 immediately
outlet.2.load.off - Turn off the load on outlet 2 immediately
outlet.2.load.on - Turn on the load on outlet 2 immediately
shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test

And “upsrw” gives me this:

[battery.charge.low]
Remaining battery level when UPS switches to LB (percent)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 20

[battery.charge.restart]
Minimum battery level for restart after power off (percent)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 3
Value: 0

[battery.energysave]
Switch off when running on battery and no/low load
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: no

[battery.protection]
Prevent deep discharge of battery
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: yes

[input.frequency.extended]
Extended input frequency range
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: no

[input.sensitivity]
Input power sensitivity
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: normal

[input.transfer.boost.low]
Low voltage boosting transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 184

[input.transfer.high]
High voltage transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 294

[input.transfer.low]
Low voltage transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 160

[input.transfer.trim.high]
High voltage trimming transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 265

[input.voltage.extended]
Extended input voltage range
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: no

[outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low]
Remaining battery level to power off this outlet (percent)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 3
Value: 0

[outlet.1.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait before shutting down this outlet (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 65535

[outlet.1.delay.start]
Interval to wait before restarting this outlet (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 3

[outlet.1.desc]
Outlet description
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 20
Value: PowerShare Outlet 1

[outlet.2.autoswitch.charge.low]
Remaining battery level to power off this outlet (percent)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 3
Value: 0

[outlet.2.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait before shutting down this outlet (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 65535

[outlet.2.delay.start]
Interval to wait before restarting this outlet (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 6

[outlet.2.desc]
Outlet description
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 20
Value: PowerShare Outlet 2

[outlet.desc]
Outlet description
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 20
Value: Main Outlet

[output.voltage.nominal]
Nominal output voltage (V)
Type: ENUM
Option: "200"
Option: "208"
Option: "220"
Option: "230" SELECTED
Option: "240"

[ups.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 20

[ups.delay.start]
Interval to wait before (re)starting the load (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 30

[ups.load.high]
Load when UPS switches to overload condition (percent)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: 105

[ups.shutdown]
Description unavailable
Type: ENUM
Option: "disabled"
Option: "enabled" SELECTED

[ups.start.auto]
UPS starts when mains is (re)applied
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: yes

[ups.start.battery]
Allow to start UPS from battery
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: yes

[ups.start.reboot]
UPS reboots when power returns during shutdown delay
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 5
Value: yes

[ups.test.interval]
Interval between self tests (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 8
Value: 604800

>> And here’s the output from /usr/local/nut/bin/usbhid-ups -DD -a <ups-name>
>>
>> I had to ^C it after a bit as it was just retrying.  Looks like a communications problem with the UPS over the USB cable?  We’ve unplugged it and replugged it half a dozen times before this.
>
> The debug output looks normal - it loops like that during normal operation, but you won't see it without the "-D" flags.

OK, that’s good to know.