[Nut-upsuser] FE700VA over USB? controlling UPSes over network?

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Wed Jul 4 12:44:05 BST 2018

No, I've not done just what you're asking about, however I have a
suggestion to consider which may be in the spirit of what you're doing.

I use Raspberry Pis as the NUT master to control my UPSs, and then the NUT
client on the other systems. My UPSs are by Tripp-Lite and I have both
older serial and newer USB versions. Using the RPi3 as the NUT master has
the following advantages (to my mind):

   - NUT code is fairly current due to RPi's Debian roots
   - Raspbian is maintained
   - Automatic updates via apticron and unattended-upgrades
   - RPi is low cost and low power
   - No USB to serial adapter needed
   - Nice to isolate the NUT master on a separate system

One small issue is that the RPi doesn't have RS232 levels on its serial
lines, so you need a level-shifter. One that works fine is the MAX3232:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11189

--Larry

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 2:42 AM, David Melik <davidnchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:

>     Lately I replaced my 10+-year-old server with a nano-ITX-type one that
> has USB but not old serial ports.  I connected my FE700VA to
> DB25-to-9-to-USB cables, but haven't been able to set it up. Apparently my
> DB9-to-USB cable (Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port) has issues
> needing old software (setserial?) and some new software (fconfigure) being
> changed.  Has anyone managed to do something like this?
>     I'm still also interested in knowing how to control the three UPSes I
> have in the house (except FE700VA not re-setup yet) over the network, from
> one of them.  I managed to load some webpages to monitor them but can you
> shut them all off from there?

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com