[Nut-upsuser] manual transfer switch to make UPS testing easier

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Fri Jun 1 18:21:00 BST 2018

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018, Ken Olum wrote:

> In case this is helpful to anyone, here's what I did to make it easier
> to test NUT and my UPS.  My problem is that for testing I don't want my
> system plugged into my UPS, so I can test UPS operations without
> shutting down my system.  But the rest of the time, I want to be
> protected against power problems.  My solution was to build a transfer
> switch (just a DPDT switch in a box) that enables me to switch my system
> between wall power and UPS power.  Thus I can connect the system to the
> wall, shut down the UPS for testing, and connect my system back to the
> UPS when I'm done, all without any system shutdowns.

I have a dual PS server, with one PS plugged into the wall (surge
protector) and one into the UPS.  And the UPS is plugged into a wall
outlet controlled by the light switch (intended for floor lamps).

So I just turn off the light switch to test the UPS.

I highly recommend dual PS servers/desktops - it gives you a lot of
flexibility and some additional reliability for not much more additional
cost.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at gathman.org>