[Nut-upsuser] Does the NUT shutdown the UPS?

Daniel Hilst Selli daniel at versatushpc.com.br
Mon May 7 16:45:43 BST 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 11:11 +0200, Roger Price wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2018, Daniel Hilst Selli wrote:
>
> > I was reading the user manual but something is little gray to me. Does the
> > master instruct the UPS to shutdown after it?
>
> I wrote up my own notes on how this works - you will find it in chapter 5.4
> of
> http://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.A5.pdf
>
> > I'm asking because I'm still testing stuff here and I don't want my UPS to
> > power everything down. I would be a terrible experience if it happens! :-)
>
> If you are testing a NUT setup, then expect to see unexpected power downs.
> Don't
> test using a production system.
>
> Roger

Thank you Roger, I read the chapter 5.4. The problem is that the storage is not
the master here, and syncing by time seems problematic for me. The *machine*
attached to the storage is a hypervisor attached to storage through iSCSI. What
I did was use a shell script with some key pairs to login to the hypervisor and
shutdown it before storage.

I'm testing on a machine that is not production but there is production machines
(and the storage) supplied by this UPS, the testing server can shutdown without
problems but if storage shutdowns it would be problematic. Depending on how to
the things go here I will schedule a downtime to work on this. What I understood
from the PDF is that UPS only shutdown if I issue a `upsdrvctl shutdown`
command, otherwise it will stay up, right?!

Regards,