[Nut-upsuser] after power outage and proper shutdown, UPS turns on before power returns

Gabriel jarod125 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:35:14 BST 2018

> > After sending the email, I revisited the usbhid-ups driver man page
> > and found the part that specified that ondelay=-1 can be used in the
> > scenario I am facing (for some reason, I haven't noticed this when
> > initially reading the docs). And sure enough, this works, but the side
> > effect is that the UPS won't come back when power returns. I've also
> > tried with higher values (300) and it's still the same. UPS will power
> > up even if there's no mains power. After looking at the github issues
> > at the link you specified, I've found this[2] post which describes
> > pretty much the exact behaviour I'm seeing. I haven't tried with
> > ondelay=0, but I'm sure it'll behave like that guy says (I'll confirm
> > and report back). So, at the moment, between: i) set the ondelay to a
> > (very) large value and hope that power returns before the UPS turns
> > back on or ii) set ondelay=-1 and manually turn on the UPS after power
> > returns, setting ondelay=0 looks like the only half-decent option, but
> > still leaves you vulnerable in case the power comes back and goes out
> > again before the battery is charged to a comfortable level.
>
> Thanks for pointing out that difference. I think the reboot-without-power case warrants a new issue:
>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/625

(Re)confirmed the behaviour:
- ondelay=0, UPS powers on the load when mains return
- ondelay=-1, UPS never powers on the load, even when mains return
- ondelay=xx, UPS powers on the load after xx (roughly) seconds,
regardless of mains status

Debug logs for running the driver with -k is attached. Let me know if
they help (I've run this a few times with different values for on/off
delay). Tests were run with main power on (did not unplug the UPS).