[Nut-upsuser] why did self test warn?

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Sat Feb 16 23:53:47 GMT 2019

On 2019-02-16 1:58 p.m., Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019, James wrote:
>
>> Now it says:
>> battery.runtime: 1170
>> The display on the UPS fluctuates between 16-19 minutes.
>>
>> ups.load says 30 constantly and The display on the UPS says 30% so I
>> think that is correct.
>
> battery.runtime is in seconds, so that agrees with the UPS display as
> well.
>
>> How you find out your battery was manufactured in 2012?
>
> APC batteries have a smart chip that records stuff like that and can
> be read by the UPS.  Another possibility, is that they "refilled"
> an old case.  The end result was a substandard (but working - and
> cheap) battery.
Even aftermarket batteries have those?
The battery I bought was cheap.

I wonder if mine was supposed to have a smart chip and CyberPower
decided not to.
The original battery said:
battery.mfr.date: CPS

>> How would I know if is the UPS?
>
> That fluctuating runtime sounds suspicious - although the load is also
> fluctuating between 32 and 28 in your examples.  Maybe the lower
> runtime is a consequence of the higher load?  Why is your load varying?
> It might be something plugged into the UPS.  Maybe your server makes
> the load difference when CPUs are maxed out?
It is my 8 core desktop computer and not much goes on.
The runtime fluctuates way more than the load.

I'm going to setup upslog.
I couldn't find an easy way to graph the results.

I installed nut-monitor.
The nut website says "NUT-Monitor is part of NUT since NUT v2.4.1. It
will further evolve toward the NUT Control Center." but nut-monitor
hasn't been updated since 2010.

Do you know what happened to the "NUT Control Center"?
It has an interesting name.