[Nut-upsuser] Just an interesting data point [CyberPower SNMP]

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 02:13:40 GMT 2019

On Jan 27, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:

> SO, my full load on my core UPS is two Dell R610s, one Sun X4540, one HP
> DL360p gen8, two six-core Thuban-II workstations plua their monitors,
> and the network stack and KVM.
>
> The APC SU3000RM (3KVA) that blew up last week considered this to be
> just short of 60% load.
> The new Cyberpower PR3000 (also 3KVA), wqhich operates at a 90% power
> factor, considers this same load to be 43% load.
>
> I wasn't expecting that much of a reduction.

So... 50% load +/- 10% :-)

(The use of the term "calibration" for an UPS is slightly unfortunate - it's certainly not a traceable metrology-style calibration. I would not be surprised if most of the passives were 5-10% tolerance, and not temperature compensated.)

> I have the snmp-ups driver working with it, have not enabled upsmon yet,
> but upsc seems to get a rather limited set of data from it:
> In particular, no load, no input or output voltage.  (And the runtime
> report is not to be trusted yet until I do a calibration run.)

I forgot that this landed after 2.7.4:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/632/commits/3f5e3728a720aba0be76b2fccb603b04962bb904 <https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/632/commits/3f5e3728a720aba0be76b2fccb603b04962bb904>

I forget, is your copy of NUT built from an RPM? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to add that patch to get load, charge, input voltage/frequency and output voltage (assuming the RM205 is a superset of the RM202).

You can also use snmpwalk to see what other values might be available. Since there is already a skeleton MIB mapping in NUT, the only two things needed are probably the snmpwalk outputs described at the end of this section: https://networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s04.html#snmp-subdrivers <https://networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s04.html#snmp-subdrivers>

> (Also, I can so far connect only using snmpv1, but I don't know whether
> I should expect to get any additional data from snmpv3 anyway.)

Again, not my area of expertise, but as far as NUT is concerned, I think the different versions are for authentication methods (SNMPv1 is cleartext).