[Nut-upsuser] Data Stale issue

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon May 6 16:33:11 BST 2019

On Mon, 6 May 2019, Gareth Davies wrote:

> Just another thing I wanted to mention... once I've resolved the
> aforementioned issues, would it be possible for the system to run without any
> maintenance or checking up on it? What I mean is, once I've plugged it into my
> grandmother's house, I'd like to leave it running and forget about it
> basically - in the knowledge and trust it would notify us if there's ever a
> power cut!

If you want to trust your setup, you need to guard against a silent failure,
particularly if you have carers and cleaners with access to the equipment. I
suggest you run a heartbeat check for example using NUT as described at
http://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.A5.pdf chapter 6, together with a daily
cron job which checks that the heartbeat is running, and sends you an e-mail if
all is well.

Roger