[Nut-upsuser] nut vs ups fail

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue May 7 14:09:45 BST 2019

On Tuesday 07 May 2019 08:38:44 am Charles Lepple wrote:

> On May 7, 2019, at 5:06 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > New testing install(stretch)
> > pulled in nut stuff from repo.
> > copied old wheezy configs to /etc/nut, overwriting the resident
> > files can't talk to ups, missing usbhid-ups file
>
> Gene,
>
> What do you have in /etc/nut/ups.conf? (There shouldn't be any
> passwords in that one if you're using a USB-connected UPS, but check
> to be sure. Also, I don't need any of the lines starting with "#".)
[myups]
driver=usbhid-ups
port=/dev/ttyUSB0
offdelay = 120
ondelay = 150

Should I put the full path to it in that driver= statement, Charles?
But this kernel might not like it, its for 32 bit i386's according
to "file". I don't know if the 32 bit i386 stuff is in this rt kernel.

> > Found it in /lib/nut, doesn't modprobe, not in
> > /lib/modules/kernelversion tree.
> >
> > I need to fix this, how do I proceed? A direct address path
> > in /etc/modules? Doesn't work..
> >
> > I did try this:
> >
> > root at coyote:etc$ insmod /lib/nut/usbhid-ups
> > insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/nut/usbhid-ups: Invalid
> > module format.
> >
> > Is this telling me I need to get the nut src and compile it for 64
> > bit?
>
> NUT "drivers" are user-space programs, not kernel modules. The Debian
> packages of NUT should be able to find the drivers in /lib/nut without
> any problems. (For instance, when you have "driver = usbhid-ups"
> listed in /etc/nut/ups.conf, "upsdrvctl start" will combine the
> default driver path "/lib/nut" with "usbhid-ups" to start
> /lib/nut/usbhid-ups.)
>
> We only recommend mixing repo packages and source builds in certain
> cases (for debugging, and supporting new hardware), and there's a
> procedure on the GitHub wiki to make the source build match the .deb
> packages. Let's try to make the Debian stretch packages work first.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)