[Nut-upsuser] nut vs ups fail

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:38:44 BST 2019

On May 7, 2019, at 5:06 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> New testing install(stretch)
> pulled in nut stuff from repo.
> copied old wheezy configs to /etc/nut, overwriting the resident files
> can't talk to ups, missing usbhid-ups file

Gene,

What do you have in /etc/nut/ups.conf? (There shouldn't be any passwords in that one if you're using a USB-connected UPS, but check to be sure. Also, I don't need any of the lines starting with "#".)

> Found it in /lib/nut, doesn't modprobe, not in /lib/modules/kernelversion
> tree.
>
> I need to fix this, how do I proceed? A direct address path
> in /etc/modules? Doesn't work..
>
> I did try this:
>
> root at coyote:etc$ insmod /lib/nut/usbhid-ups
> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/nut/usbhid-ups: Invalid
> module format.
>
> Is this telling me I need to get the nut src and compile it for 64 bit?

NUT "drivers" are user-space programs, not kernel modules. The Debian packages of NUT should be able to find the drivers in /lib/nut without any problems. (For instance, when you have "driver = usbhid-ups" listed in /etc/nut/ups.conf, "upsdrvctl start" will combine the default driver path "/lib/nut" with "usbhid-ups" to start /lib/nut/usbhid-ups.)

We only recommend mixing repo packages and source builds in certain cases (for debugging, and supporting new hardware), and there's a procedure on the GitHub wiki to make the source build match the .deb packages. Let's try to make the Debian stretch packages work first.

--
- Charles Lepple
https://ghz.cc/charles/