[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sun Aug 9 09:18:12 BST 2020

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020, Todd Benivegna wrote:

> I just ran a manual test, killing power and see what happens.  I set the
> Synology “Time before DiskStation goes into Safe mode”

What is "Safe mode"?  Is it complete power down?, or some sort of hibernation?
If it's not a complete power down, how is the hibernation powered?

> to 5 minutes so I didn’t have to wait like an hour until it powered
> down.  Here is the log:
>
> https://hastebin.com/ovuwilufeb.sql
  Aug  8 14:31:01 proton upsmon[1561]: UPS ups at 192.168.1.70 on battery
  Aug  8 14:36:01 proton upsmon[1561]: UPS ups at 192.168.1.70: forced shutdown in progress
  Aug  8 14:36:01 proton upsmon[1561]: Executing automatic power-fail shutdown
  Aug  8 14:36:01 proton upsmon[1561]: Auto logout and shutdown proceeding
  Aug  8 14:36:06 proton upsmon.conf: UPS status [FSD OB DISCHRG]:85

Notice the effect of the upsmon FINALDELAY 5 declaration in the last line.
Status [FSD OB DISCHRG] is what one would expect in a slave.  I see the UPS has
lost 15% of it's charge in 5 minutes.

> Everything appeared to be normal; the servers powered off and the Synology
> went into safe mode.  Power was then cut to the Synology and my UPS turned
> off.

I assume power was cut to the Synology because the UPS disconnected it's power
outlets (often referred to as "UPS turns off").

> Could it be something like the Synology drives were in hibernation and the
> Synology wasn’t responding (was probably coming out of hibernation - it takes
> maybe 5-10 seconds) and NUT thought the server was dead and shut everything
> down?  On that note, I did have the Synology set to hibernate/spin down the
> disks after 1 hour, but just disabled that just in case; will be on all the
> time now.  You think that was possibly the problem?

It would be interesting to see what the Synology log says for hibernation, upsd
and upsmon for a) a manual test, and b) a real wall power failure.

Roger